Friday, February 15, 2013

Tower Garden Tabbouleh Salad

There came a day for me when I couldn't stand it anymore.  All the waiting, the longing...loneliness overcame me.  I was undone!  And that day was Sunday.
I needed Tabbouleh.
Now, in case you don't know what that is, here's a little history lesson for you.

Growing up in the home I did, there was a constant stream of foreign exchange students.  We had it all!  Russian, German, Korean, Chinese, Japanese...and Turkish.  That's when my life changed.
They made us Tabbouleh, and I've been hooked ever since.  Here is the traditional rendering of this dish, as brought to my family by the Turks.



Tower Garden Tabbouleh Salad
-2 cups of bulgar (cracked wheat)
-5 roma tomatoes (seeds removed, diced)
-1 bunch of green onions (6 inches, finely chopped)
-1 handful of FRESH mint (finely chopped)
-1 handful of FRESH flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
-1 1/2 lemons
-salt & pepper
- grapeseed oil

 Now, before I am run away with myself, I should tell you that bulgar can be found in Middle Eastern food markets and many health food stores.  Call ahead to check for stock.  :)

You can prepare your bulgar one of two ways.
Modern Method: Boil bulgar in water for 10 minutes - 1 to 2 cup ratio.
Traditional Method: Soak room temperature bulgar in water until soft and squishy, 1-2 hours.
When bulgar has been softened (either by cooking or soaking), squeeze excess moisture out of it using your hands.  Then toss it in a large bowl.  Bulgar should be room temperature or cool, never hot!
Add tomatoes, onion, mint, and parsley.  (Your kitchen smell outstanding by now.)
Squeeze the lemon into the bowl and drizzle in about 1/4-1/2 cup of grapeseed oil.
Salt and pepper to taste.  Mix until blended and irresistible.

You can stuff lettuce leaves or pita bread with this stuff and enjoy!
(Or you can eat it by the spoonfuls when no on is watching.  I'll never tell. ;)

Right about, you may be saying, "Waaaait, wait, wait!  What's this Tower Garden nonsense?"
Simply put...it's the best thing that's happened to gardening since God created Eden!
I grew both my mint AND parsley for this recipe in my Tower...and it's hea-ven!  ;)
Here's a 5-week time lapse of my growing adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment